Thursday, September 18, 2008

Another Adoption Update...............

The week after I started working full time at home, we took another step in our adoption process towards the final approval. Our case worker, Josh, came over and did our home study. Basically, all he really did was just walk through our house and make sure we have fire extinguishers and fire alarms/carbon monoxide detectors, etc. I've had a few people ask me if they go through all of your drawers and personal belongings. It's not that way at all. All they really do is just make sure your home will be safe to put a child in. It was very low key and not nearly as stressful as I've always kind of feared it would be. He then sat down with us and asked a few more questions about the area we live in, as well as answered a few more of our questions.

The only major things we have left now is to do our collage/scrapbook pages and to write the letter to the birthmother. We've pretty much got the scrapbook pages done and were able to have Josh take a look at them when he came to our house. He gave us a few minor suggestions about ways to make them just a little better and we're now in the process of making those changes.

The part that I'm most nervous about, though, is writing the letter to the birthmother. What do you say to someone you've never met and know absolutely nothing about at this point? There is a woman out there who is going to be the mother of my child someday, and even though I have no idea where she is or what she's doing right now.............I love her and can't wait to meet her! I want to say just the right thing that will spark something special in her heart to let her know that Matt and I are the ones who are meant to be her child's parents. I don't want to sound like everyone else. I want to stand out in some special way. I want this woman to know that I hope with all my heart that she will allow Matt and I to love her and include her in our family. I hope that we can be of some support and comfort to her in this trial. I tend to get a little emotional just thinking about her................I can't imagine what it will be like to finally meet her!

3 comments:

Knottymoose said...

There have been many times that I have sat down and thought of what to write to a Birth Mother too. It is a hard thing and no one understands that unless they have gone through it themselves. I really feel that you have a wonderful way with your writing and that you will be able to express your love with those Mothers who will be reading your letter. I truly admire you and Matt and I cannot wait to hold your baby... hopefully at next years Poker Run! Love you and hugs to you both!

Michelle said...

Darla, I was very moved by your blog today. I have never dealt with not getting pregnant , but my little sister placed a baby for adoption and it was such a bitter sweet experience for our family. I sat there holding the baby in the hospital while my sister signed away her rights. That was a hard day. But what a blessing to the adoptive parents. You will write a great letter and whoever is meant to give you their child will know it. Good luck and continued success with the process.

Marisol said...

HI i am a BIRTHMOTHER and i sat and read all the letters and profiles they begin to sound the same but you need to place you within the letter! let your soul be know through the words you write and that is what a bitthmother is looing for! your inner soul!!